We offer a warm welcome to all of you who have found this site for the first time, especially if you’ve just watched the Stargate Atlantis Season 3 episode “Sunday”. If you’re here because you can’t believe Dr. Carson Beckett is dead, then you’ve come to the right place.
We share your shock at Carson’s fate. He is a beloved character who added warmth to the show in a uniquely Scottish way. We’re here to reverse his “death” as only science fiction can!
Here are some factoids to bring you up to speed:
- Yes, it’s true, Dr. Carson Beckett was killed in “Sunday”. He didn’t ascend, and at the time the episode was filmed, it was planned to be actor Paul McGillion’s final appearance on the show.
- We’ve been here since rumors of Carson’s demise first surfaced, back in September ’06. The truth was finally confirmed when “Sunday” aired in Canada this past January.
- As far as reasons, actor Paul McGillion has said in interviews that his removal from the cast was done to “shake things up” after news of SG-1’s cancellation. He loved working on the show and did not want to leave.
- Paul McGillion is not involved with our campaign at all, but he has expressed his appreciation for fan reaction on many occasions, including this special message for our site.
- Next season, the role of the Atlantis doctor will be played by Jewel Staite (formerly of Firefly), who will appear in eight episodes.
- As a result of several factors, including fan outcry, Stargate Atlantis co-showrunner Joe Mallozzi revealed here at SCB.com that they sowed some seeds at the end of Season 3 to enable Carson’s return, and that Carson will be back in two episodes in the latter half of Season 4. It will be “our” Carson, in flesh and blood. This was a great victory for our campaign!
Two episodes is great news, but it’s not the goal we’re fighting for. Our aim is the full-time return of Carson Beckett to Stargate Atlantis, and the reinstatement of Paul McGillion as a full-time cast member.
What can you do to help?
The most important thing is to write and send “real” letters protesting Carson’s death to The Powers That Be listed at our Addresses page. you should especially write to MGM, Sci Fi, and Bridge Studios at the addresses shown. Then take a moment to email the magazines and newspapers shown on the same page, especially all the “genre” sci-fi magazines and any newspapers near you. This will help greatly with our efforts to get even more press coverage than we already have.
If you can’t send your own letters, you can use our Letter Writing page and our volunteers will send them for you!
The letters don’t have to be long or complicated. Just express your feelings about the loss of Carson and how it will affect your viewing of Stargate in the future. If you like, you can thank them for bringing Carson back for 2 episodes but make it clear you really want him back full-time!
If you want to get even more involved, please join our Yahoo! group. It’s a friendly place, and there are plenty of projects for volunteers to work on, from getting the word out to helping mail letters submitted to the site.
Beyond that, we welcome you to our site and look forward to your help as we Save Carson Beckett!